Friday, October 31, 2008

Campaign Trail (Part 1)

Today was spent campaigning at an early voting spot. Tomorrow’s agenda looks the same and of course Tuesday will be a long day. I’m well aware of the record number of people voting this year, but today I observed American citizens pouring in to cast their votes. I vote absentee for every election so I don’t have to wait in the lines and I’ve never been so glad until today. I would place the average wait time just over three hours for those coming to the polls early. One voter informed us he had waited in line for four hours. Reminder, early voting has been open for a few days now and these are work days. I’m not sure what to expect tomorrow and Tuesday.

For those who don’t know my dad is running for city council, so I have been campaigning for a while. I’ve worked in previous years for campaign stuff as well. I hope my dad is happy that he at least got one of his children interested in political things like he is. Anyway, when you do these things you can expect to have people honk and cheer for your candidate and sometimes receive fingers and booing. City council is a smaller scale but people wave a lot for my dad’s signs because of the rep our council has on the news here and the desire to have someone new. It’s cool when people tell you they’ve studied up on him and he has their vote. I thought it was funny to get the thumbs down for the first time today from a driver. I don’t take things personally, but it was it dawned on me it was not just an issue or candidate that I was for…it was my dad. He has a hater! haha

You meet others out campaigning for different things and it can be fun even when you know the signs contradict. One lady today from a neighboring city apologized she was not able to vote for my dad since he was not running in her city. Within my mind I informed it was okay because I did not vote for the candidate she was promoting either, even though I did have the option as he was running for a higher position that includes my district.

Awkward moment of the day: I was stared down by some dude as he rode by in the back of a cop car. It was caged in but the window was open. He was actually leaning forward in the seat with his face against the caging as he slowly rode by me.

No comments: