Sunday, July 13, 2008

Crazy Tourist





I’ve always avoided infamous tourist activities. Maybe it has something to do with growing up in one of the biggest tourists’ traps this world has. I also am not big on being an uncontrollable overzealous fan of famous people. So every now and them my path crosses with someone considered famous. I’m not the type to take advantage of the photo op or an autograph.

Well, I faltered today. I blame the billboard. I’ve had to pass it a few times recently since I’ve been in Indiana. There it was again today, exit 55. It really was just shameful. I could take it no more! I wanted to explore the roots of James Dean. He’s probably one of my favorite actors of all time.

I wasn’t sure what to expect in this small town adventure. I first met Lenny and his dog at The James Dean Gallery. Lenny was definitely the friendly type of person you’d expect to meet in this town. He was eager to have me explore his collectibles and thought it was just so cool for me to have the same birth date as James Dean. I bought my usual shot glass for my collection from him and he gave me a map of everywhere I needed to go next.

I went to the high school that young Jimmie attended. This was when I was caught being a tourist. A man mowing his lawn across the street stopped his mower to inform me that I could get in trouble for my illegal activity. He laughed and told me he was only kidding and just wanted to tell me more about the building. My second nice encounter said James Dean visitors were so obvious (officially slapping the tourist stamp on me). He pointed to the boarded windows of what had roomed the acting class.

Next it was time for the museum containing so much of James Dean’s life. His cousin, Marcus Jr. remains the owner. There sat James’ Bible with his name neatly printed on the cover along with his birth certificate and so much more. Sketches and sculptures he had crafted were on display. The one thing that caught my eye was a letter to Marcus Jr. He was in New York at the time and wrote about some of Marcus’ drawings. He encouraged young Marcus to not draw so much of manmade things. He told him to look around and draw things like the hills and people. He noted how Marcus was blessed by the Lord God to be amidst such surroundings. He wrote, “…they are harder to draw because they are harder to grow.” It made me smile to read in his words his appreciation for the things God creates in comparison to mans’ efforts. As a New York lover, I also smiled as I noticed in a letter to his pastor he wrote, “…it’s as fascinating as it’s big.” A few samples of his school work reminded me of my own. His reports contained lightly colored drawings behind the words. I always loved providing some type of illustration.

After leaving I drove by the home he grew up in. The farm is still functioning and all was neatly painted white. I drove passed his old church and then I did what I had to in order to complete my visit. Despite my major dislike of all graveyards, I went by his site. Eww! It was weird to think that years ago his 24 year old body was laid in there.

“Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.”
–James Bryon Dean

No comments: