Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Beautiful Release

The concept really makes sense. It’s not easy, but it makes sense. My personal struggle of letting go is evident in the majority of my posts as I battle with the concept. A couple days ago the realization began to free my overbearing analytical thoughts. How do we expect to hold His full power when our hands are so full with our own securities? We grasp so tightly while we call to God for His hand. We stumble like a child refusing to release a single treasured toy to take our Father’s outstretched hand. God reiterated this lesson to me this last week. I’ve been reading through I Samuel and as I read through the story of David and Goliath again I made special note of David turning down Saul’s battle gear. Great equipment, but it would have only weighed him down. What “security” is weighing us down? I read about the incident again in a book I just completed. So here I am with the lessons God is presenting me and realizing that the beauty of the moment can only be fully captured in if I pry my fingers from my own securities. We can only experience the day as God made it when we lay down everything we are carrying. This is the moment I’m given and it won’t return.

Just a few other challenging thoughts I crossed in my last reading (Life Wide Open, by David Jeremiah):

“From God’s point of view, the greatest waste in life is the gap between what you are and what you could be.”

“God has given us two promises: His presence and His power.”

“God is pleased to work not through ability but through availability.”

“Failure is one of life’s greatest teachers – or it certainly can be if we choose to learn from it rather than let it crush us.”

“Perfection is the goal, but it’s not the journey.”

No comments: