Saturday, November 8, 2008

Campaign Trail (Part 2)

Campaigning is over and I’m glad. Election Day began with waking up at 5 AM and standing until the polls closed at a voting location. The locations became packed out well before voting opened. I was drained by the end of it. I had spent the previous days finishing door to door promotions and I now know this city better than ever before. We also had to relocate the majority of the promotional signs to the precincts the night before. My legs didn’t want to allow me to stand anymore by the close of Tuesday.

I did enjoy meeting other candidates of other positions and talking with people I had voted for. It’s encouraging to really enjoy the company of the people you vote for and it’s great to connect on a more personable level with those that you share values and issues with.

The funniest vote he got was from a woman that walked out and pointed to the sign my dad was holding and said she voted for her. My dad informed her he was Pat and the woman said, “What?! I was only voting for women!”

The results (3 positions to fill):
Pat Bentley…26.15% (4089 votes)
Stephany Eley…24.57 % (3842)
Bill Mettrick…26.44% (4134)

Damian Wilson…22.84% (3571)

3 comments:

AutobotJazz said...

I don't understand how these things work. I live in West Melbourne and the city council was NOT on my ballot. Weird.

Bekah Jo said...

Aren't you on the north side of 192? I think technically looking at that area is only county property (despite what your mail address shows). You can see online somewhere. I was surprised with the way the map works. I know that except for a couple streets all of the direct land north 192 is county and then where I am is W. Melb again with more random streets and even select lots. It's really odd

-Billy said...

congrats and i love the song player