Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Kung Fu Wisdom

I arrived in Indiana two weeks ago, today. I have been fortunate to meet several great people. Tonight a few of us went to see Kung Fu Panda. The theatre* was in a little downtown area. It had the classic bright white light bulbs (flashing of course) out front and surrounding a couple upcoming feature posters. It was so tiny that the concession line backed up the entrance. There can be only one feature film at a time due to just one theatre room. Better yet, Tuesday movies are a mere $3! More than a dollar less than a gallon of gas!

Anyway, it was a great movie. I don’t always like farfetched interpretations of quotes in movies when trying to make parallels with Biblical principles, but I believe all truth is God’s truth. Kung Fu Panda had a few quotes and scenes that carried valuable truth.

Ooguay: “Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.”

Ooguay: ''The mark of a true hero is humility.''

There was also a scene between Ooguay and Shifu where the importance of letting go of control was discussed. How cool to hear lines like these and see other valuable lessons played in a lighthearted film.

I close this post with one of my favorite quotes from the movie. Nothing profound, but definitely noteworthy in my professional opinion:

Po: “There is no charge for awesomeness - or attractiveness.”

* I felt this facility was worthy of the classic British/English spelling of 'theatre' :)

1 comment:

Gary Durbin said...

I too prefer your choice of the spelling of "theatre". That movie rocks!