Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas (Part 1)

I am excited about Christmas this year. I haven’t been able to say that for a while. My desire for something different began a few years ago. I have felt something has been lost each year. They weren’t bad and the time with family and friends was always fun. I didn’t enjoy going through Christmas with Christ a part of my thoughts, I knew I needed to have Him as the center of all Christmas.

There was a moment this last summer that I officially decided to make a drastic change in my Christmas celebration for this year and from now on. I shared my thoughts in my Christmas in July post. The only thing I wasn’t too comfortable doing was breaking to my mom I didn’t want part the traditional stuff; because I knew it was important family time to her.

When I finally came to tell her she said she wanted to talk to the rest of the family because she was over the way we had been spending Christmas as well. Then she asked me what my thoughts were of helping others this Christmas. She wanted the rest of them to help too.

Well, this year we are doing Coats for Christmas. We are collecting from a few local churches and will distribute them at the local food kitchen here. I’m excited about the opportunity.

It all comes down to this. Christmas is meant to be a celebration of Christ’s birth. When I think of how we often celebrate birthdays I consider how we often bring a gift and spend time together. How do I bring a gift to Christ? I found my answer in Scripture.

“Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’”

(Matthew 25:37-40)


For those who are local to me and want to donate hoodies, sweatshirts, coats, sweaters, etc., please leave me a note here or send me a message on facebook. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

No comments: