Friday, August 15, 2008

Too Close

A win by 1/100 of a second! I thought it was over and I think it's completely unexplainable how he got his hand up there first. I have to admit I completely wrote it all off in that last stroke. As the clips play over in slow motion and from different views I can't believe it. How? How? How? Thank God for the touchpad that reads the time of touch and proves his victory because the visual shot still leaves my mind's eye with doubts. Even with the technolgy I was nervous as a protest of the win surfaced. I'm glad the protest verdict was finalized quickly and in favor of the original claim to victory. The close win seized by Lezak earlier this week was exciting; this close call was stomach turning.

Michael Phelps has officially tied Mark Spitz in earning seven gold medals in a single Olympic season. Yesterday he received his sixth and after this race he has one more to go to hold more gold than any other in a season. I have believed fromed the beginning he had the capability to reach his goal, but I have never written off the competition. Anything can happen in a moment. Any upset is possible. Just one to go! How unreal!

How amazing was Dara Torres and her sportsmanship to put aside her focus to ask officials to hold the race for her competitor during some swimsuit trouble. I love her drive but more than that I love her spirit. She is an inspiration. Even after the distraction she was able to pull off an incredible win.

No comments: