Friday, August 22, 2008

Diving for Bronze

Best finish of this year’s Olympic Games?

Am I referring to one of the relays in the pool or the fingertip win by Phelps? The action would have made more sense in water. It wasn’t even for gold. It was to grab the bronze. Of course, I am talking about the amazing dive David Neville took across the finish line in the men’s 400-meter final. My cousin and I could not stop laughing. When the commentators mentioned he was hurt we were laughing all the harder, not because he was hurt (what kind of sick person do you think I am?). It just seemed like an obvious factor when a full speed Olympic runner dives into a track. I have been in pain after making a trained dive into a softball base, I can’t imagine considering a forward facing dive into a running track. I was wondering if this was something that he had foreseen as a consideration or if the idea just hit him in the moment. I found out after the race that he has actually done it once before in a race last year to secure a silver for USA. After the race he said, "Sometimes we have to sacrifice our body and our mind and our spirit for what we really want." All I know is he wanted that bronze and he did not leave without it. His action also completed a sweep by USA in the race's medals.

...with several amazing finishes in this year's games this one may not top, but it was definitely exciting to see.

No comments: