Monday, May 26, 2008

Ignorance is Bliss?

Why the ignorance? Why the self absorption? We pray for opportunities to share God’s love, but from the moment we wake up our thoughts engulf our wants. Our want to sleep in, our want to have a new shirt to wear, our want to not have to work today…the wish list is endless. I know I’m so very guilty, aren’t we all? It is a daily battle. Opportunities from God surround us and we will see them if we just shift our focus.

One opportunity that I had last week along with a few friends from Immersed was a cookout with homeless in the community. It was so much fun. Of course, the best part was not the food but the fellowship we are called by Christ to have with the mission field surrounding us. There was a great turnout and it was awesome to see familiar faces from the last time I was out. It’s amazing how powerful community is and how much communication is a necessity to its quality. It’s easy to donate money or items to organizations, but there is no substitution for relationship. Honestly, how are they expected to see Jesus when we don’t seize opportunities to develop relationships? How are we to grasp the need if only try to help from afar?

The scary part is how many so called followers of Christ are missing it. Scripture tells us that our action toward the least is as to the Lord (Matthew 25:34-46).

As we left we drove passed a few people walking to wherever they would sleep for the night. Gary asked where we thought they may be headed? It made us think twice about what we headed for that night. Hot showers, dry beds and roofs over our heads…the things we don’t think twice about in the midst of our complaints. I want to challenge all who may read this, as well as myself, to not just endure life, live it.

"Don't be afraid to see what you see." -Ronald Reagan
I believe as a Christian I need to be more afraid to turn away.

I also want to say a special thank you to Ivy for making Immersed what it is, relationship not religion. Thank your for not being a Christian just by title, but in the way you live. Thanks for seeing the need in this community of believers and nonbelievers AND meeting it. As I move in the next few weeks know I will miss it, but will carry it with me in whatever the future holds.

No comments: