Monday, May 19, 2008

A Purposeful Walk

I was reading Matthew's account of Peter walking on water today. Often I consider this passage for strength through troubled times, but I'm coming to realize that life's greatest storm is life itself. Daily life is full of distracting winds. I've been sinking in them and my mindset is at the center of it all. Anything that takes my focus away from Christ is a wind. Whether it comes in the form of a light breeze or a mighty rush, when my eyes shift from His to distractions I feel my life taking on the waters of this world.

I want to and know that I need to make changes in my life. Although the big picture lies in His hand, I've seen glimpses of God's plan for my life. I am called to faithfully pursue the dreams He gives me. Yet, many days I find myself overwhelmed.

Each time I have the opportunity to step out of the daily routine and I have brief opportunities to serve in elements my passion lies my dreams are rekindled. As I return to my daily world resentment quickly takes root toward my current surroundings. I know God wants me to be passionate about my daily life and I can only be true to this if my focus is set on Him alone. Circumstances are not the source of joy and purpose, but if given room they are the distractions that break me down. I feel God is opening my eyes to this reality more each day. I pray Lord, hold my heart and keep it true.

I need to stop fighting the winds and circumstances through my own strength and look to God, knowing His promises are true. If I give room to the winds in my life my steps will drift from the mark set before me. He will always pull me up when I call out, but I long to keep my eyes locked on His so I am always ready for the blessings and plans found only in Him.

"Come," he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!" Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?" (Matthew 14:29-31)

Our lives have purpose. Are we living with purpose? God is calling to us each day to be the center of our pursuit.

Written: October 6, 2007

No comments: